UbiComp/ISWC 2018 is pleased to provide student travel grants to broaden the participation in the main conference and its co-located events (e.g., Doctoral Colloquium, Broadening Participation Workshops, Poster / Demo sessions, etc.). This year, students interested in volunteering should apply for the UbiComp/ISWC Student Travel Grant. There will be no separate call for SVs. Funds for these travel grants are provided by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) and other sources. While the NSF grants are available only for full-time undergraduate and graduate students attending US colleges and universities (not necessarily US citizens or permanent residents), the other grants are available for International/US full-time undergraduate and graduate students. Priority will be given to students who will benefit from attending the UbiComp main conference and its co-located events, but are unlikely to attend due to the unavailability of travel funding. Underrepresented minorities and female students, as well as first-time attendees that do not have a paper at the conference but in the other co-located events, are particularly encouraged to apply .
How to Apply?
Applications for the Student Travel Grant should be sent electronically as a single PDF attachment to the UbiComp/ISWC 2018 Scholarship Chair, Yunxin Liu, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by August 25, 2018. The subject line of the email should be UbiComp 2018 Student Travel Grant [US] if applicants are from US institutions. The subject line of the email should be UbiComp 2018 Student Travel Grant [International] if applicants are from institutions outside US.
A complete application should consist of the student's CV, a short personal statement (maximum one page), and a supporting letter from the student's advisor. The supporting letter can be merged with the student application in the same pdf file (preferred option) or sent as a separate pdf file by the student’s advisor to the Scholarship Chair, Yunxin Liu, at email@example.com.
The student's short personal statement (maximum one page) should include:
- The title of his/her accepted UbiComp work (e.g., conference paper, poster/demo, doctoral colloquium paper, broadening participation workshop paper, other workshop papers) - if the student is an author.
- Whether the student attended the UbiComp conference previously. List the previous years if the student attended the conference previously.
- A brief summary of research interests and accomplishments to date.
- A description of areas reflected in the UbiComp 2018 program that would affect the student's research.
- Importance of attending the conference to the student's research activities.
- An estimate of the following costs of attending UbiComp 2018: airfare, hotel, and conference registration. It is anticipated that travel grants will partially cover these attendance costs.
The supporting letter from the student’s advisor should include:
- Confirmation that the student is in good standing. Note: We will accept applications from Ph.D., Masters, and undergraduate students working on relevant research problems.
- The suitability of the UbiComp/ISWC 2018 program to the student's research area.
- Ways in which attending the conference would benefit the particular student.
- The strengths and potential contributions of the student.
- A statement of financial commitment to pay the remainder of the student applicant’s travel cost not covered by the grant.
The UbiComp/IWSC 2018 Student Travel grant committee will review applications, and the grant recipients will be announced by September 10, 2018**. The grant will cover the registration of the main conference and up to 600 USD for accommodation and airfare; one-day workshop registration will be covered for doctoral colloquium and broadening participation workshop participants. Accomodation and airfare will be covered on a reimbursement basis based on actual submitted receipts. Student advisors are expected to cover the remainder of the travel cost.
NOTE: Travel grant recipients are required to join our student volunteer team to help run UbiComp / ISWC 2018 smoothly (e.g., packing conference bags, staffing the registration desk, assisting speakers/presenters, and generally being a point of contact for conference attendees). Our student volunteer chairs will share more details with the grantaward recipients.
For any questions, please contact the UbiComp 2018 Scholarship Chair, Yunxin Liu, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete Application Deadline - August 25, 2018
- Award Notification - September 10, 2018**
- Ubicomp/ISWC 2018 Conference - 8 - 12 October, 2018